Welcome to Bottomline Customer Support
Search frequently asked questions
Ask your question by entering it here, or choose from the list of frequently asked questions below.
I have tried to run the bank account validation updates, but it is saying task failed.
If the database is out of date and after looking in 'System Setup' > 'System Maintenance' you can see the last status as 'Task Failed'. Attempt to run the task manually by clicking 'Update now'. For more information on how to do this see article: How do I run the validation updates for ePay?
Please Note: You will need to have administrator rights in ePay to do this.
If your updates do work manually, but not automatically via the schedule, please make sure that the time of the automatic updates is set between the hours of: 09.00 - 17.30
If you are receiving the above error message. It is possible that something has changed in your IT infrastructure which is now preventing ePay from communicating with our update server. This could be anything from a firewall or proxy setting change.
In order to make sure your ePay server can connect to our update server please complete the following test. These can be done directly on your server.
We recommend that this is done by somebody in your IT department who has full access to the server and is familiar with your IT infrastructure.
The following checks must be done using the account that runs the service. All tasks run through ePay authenticate using this account.
This can be found from within windows services > Right click the 'Albany ePay' service > click 'Properties' > Open the login tab > Check login account.
Please Note: The service will be named 'Bottomline ePay' if using ePay 2.0.
1. Check the server time and make sure it is within 5 minutes of real time.
2. Ensure you have access to the following with no errors:
3. Through the command prompt run the following to make sure your server can communicate on port 443: Telnet updates.albany.uk.net 443.
4. Check Windows Logs for any errors relating to this.
5. Additionally, check the ePay Server Logs for any further errors. These logs are located in the ePay installation directory in the 'Logs' folder, this can indicate the reason why the updates cannot be downloaded.
6. Please ensure that you have read and write access to the installation directory. The default location is:
Please Note: If you are using ePay 2.0, this will be:
If you have been able to complete steps 1-3 without issue and found no additional information in steps 4, 5 and 6 please contact Technical Support on +44 (0)118 925 8250 and (option 2). Please provide them with the steps you have taken and any information you have found.